Beginning Thursday, September 8, The Paradies Shops, the concessionaire that operates the newsstand, gift and specialty retail stores at Will Rogers World Airport, will begin a $1.7 million renovation and expansion project that will feature an exciting new group of shops.
National airport retailer The Paradies Shops and their Oklahoma retail partner Kambers Gifts and Luggage was awarded the contract with the Oklahoma City Airport Trust through a formal request for proposal process last spring. As a result of this award Paradies-Kambers, LLC will completely remodel and rebrand four of their existing stores and add one completely new location.
When the stores reopen in late November, airport visitors can look forward to these new concepts:
• POPS East and West - Inspired by the newest, coolest landmark along historic Route 66, Will Rogers World Airport will now give visitors a sneak peak to this uniquely Oklahoma destination. The WRWA storefronts will feature scaled-down replicas of the signature soda bottle that is so identifiable with the restaurant and soda shop. A broad assortment of products will be featured including newspapers, magazine, books, convenience items, souvenirs and of course, the #1 signature product – soda pop.
• InMotion Entertainment - A new concept at Will Rogers World Airport, InMotion will provide business and leisure travelers with the most up- to-date digitally equipped devices, along with InMotion’s trademarked PlayPoint digital download stations. Customers will be invited to explore and try the latest “gadgets” creating a shopping experience as entertaining as the products themselves.
• EA Sports Experience - EA Sports, one of the world’s most innovative and interactive global brands, will offer the travelers at WRWA a one-of-a-kind interactive sports experience. EA Sports will allow every customer the chance to “Step on the Field of Play.” Gamers and non-gamers alike will find the latest EA Sports officially licensed apparel from the teams that make Oklahoma City great, including The Thunder, Sooners and Cowboys, as well as the entire Big XII roster.
• Brighton Collectibles – An already popular specialty store at WRWA, Brighton will be expanded and redesigned. From rich, cherry millwork and warm faux limestone walls to the
one-of-a-kind mosaic embedded in the entrance floor, everything about the store will be gracious and inviting. Products will include Brighton’s exquisite collection of accessories including handbags, leather goods, watches, fragrances, jewelry, home accessories and more.
• Bricktown Square – Bricktown, one of Oklahoma City’s most exciting destinations will be brought to life at WRWA. This engaging location has been designed with the original and historic location in mind, providing an entertaining assortment of souvenirs and merchandise from the area’s most famous local attractions including local apparel and gear, giftware and edibles.
All of the new stores will feature state-of-the-art designs that are customer-friendly, well lit, and planned with wide aisles that allow travelers to purchase products in a pleasing and accessible environment.
The existing stores that will be closed for renovation are: TravelMart East and West, the Big 12 Shop, Brighton/PGA, and Oklahoma Marketplace. During construction, the retailer will operate from temporary kiosks located in front of the existing stores so that travelers will still have access to convenience and specialty items. Construction is anticipated to be complete in time for the Thanksgiving holiday.
The airports two newsstands, CNBC News and CNBC News Express, will not be re-themed. Both stores have recently been updated with new lighting, fixtures, plasma screens and signage.